My review of Green Party Spring Conference 2018

I apologise if this is not as comprehensive as my past reviews of Green Party conferences have been.

For reasons beyond human control (i.e. Storm Emma, which brought heavy snow to most of Britain especially the south and Scotland) I was unable to actually make it to conference in Bournemouth this time despite having prepared well in advance. When I reached London I learned that my coach to Bournemouth had been cancelled and that there were none forthcoming, and nor were there any trains to Bournemouth or near there due to the heavy snow and ice around the south coast. Hundreds of would-be conference attendees could not make it either for the same reasons..

My review is therefore based on what I saw within the livestream and from social media discussion about the conference.

Good points:

1. The snow cleared up in time for the conference to go ahead, even with a sharply reduced attendance from the expected numbers.

2. A motion on children's rights to nature, crucial in an increasingly urbanised society, passed.
 
Not so good points:

1. A lot of people determined to get to conference ended up being stranded in London for as long as 20 hours because of the weather conditions that forced cancellations of public transport to Bournemouth.

2. As a result of the conditions noted above in point 1, the first day of the conference (involving a history event and socials) never took place so it started on Saturday, not Friday.

3. Two key organisational motions about leadership and strategy were referred back even though they should have been heard given their considerable merit. Half the policy and organisational motions got no hearing (although there is one that was submitted to this conference I am glad was not passed).

I will make sure to be at the next conference where the weather will not impede my travel as it did this time..

Comments

  1. Hi this is Emma, I hope to attend Conference with you. Children should be encouraged to lessen how to grow there own food and lessons should be taught on respecting environment. I.E litter and not walking over plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully concur with you, Emma. Cities also need a minimum of public green space so children can be taught that as we need smaller-scale food growing for our future to be sustainable, and children need to be taught more about respecting animal rights in addition to environmental conservation. Love, Alan xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The English local elections of 2023-Conservatives pay the penalty for failing to put a stop to sleaze and sewage in our rivers

My analysis of the Swedish general election of 2022

On the 2020 Serbian election: Why a boycott will only worsen things there